Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Blvk Sheep & Far & Few - Pop

When trap first cropped up as an 'EDM' genre in the early 2010s, I was still doing my undergraduate degree in Philosophy and just starting out with my radio shows. I believe I called 2012 the year of the trap takeover, but little did I know it would still be one of the most banging and fresh genres all these years later. We can thank the likes of RL Grime, Flosstradamus and others for its uprising and evolution, especially in regards to the former's "Era" which further combined sounds and styles. Today one of my favourite duos in the trap sphere, Far & Few, have followed the trends of hybridization in a brand new track called "Pop," alongside fellow fire thrower Blvk Sheep.

I've written about these three before, so you should already be aware of their abilities, and while my favourite from Far & Few trends more to the melodic/future bass side of trap (Street Signs), this one really shows off their penchant for powerful firestorms. "Pop" leans heavily on a cut up version of the amen break, and cracking vocal chops, but really the key to this killer track lies in the gritty, grimy atmosphere that explodes again and again. The builds are as epic as the blistering bass, reminiscent of both bass house and and dubstep, while still remaining tied to trap through fantastic drum flourishes. The second drop features a more future bass tilt through the spiraling synths, before being flipped a la "Era" into a dope DnB section. There's no doubt in my mind that "Pop" will literally have people popping off on the dance floor, absolutely losing their minds. Cop it for free via The Artist Union, here.FOLLOW BLVK SHEEP: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW FAR & FEW: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER