Thursday, January 21, 2016

Throwback Thursday: Louis La Roche - Peach EP

For this week's installment of my TBT series, it is my pleasure to reintroduce the world to one of the greatest debut EP's ever released, the funky, disco-inspired, revitalized french house Peach EP from none other than Louis La Roche, ironically a Brit named Brett Ewels.
I can still vividly remember sitting in my friend's bedroom listening to his music, while he scrolled through his playlist of new music before he stopped the music dead, excitedly saying "oh shit, you have to hear this, it's so new and fresh, and no one knows who it is." Clicking on a track called "Love," with the artist name TB, who he said was rumoured to be Thomas Bangalter of Daft Punk. The thumping bass at the start of the track was quickly overtaken by sultry synths and a Michael Jackson sample. Full of warmth and promise we were overcome by the track's intoxicating and inescapable vibe.

About a month later I got a Facebook message from my friend, saying that "Love" wasn't a Bangalter track, but actually some 17 year old named Louis La Roche, and it was part of a 5 track EP, Peach. I immediately headed to google to get myself some Peach, and what I found quickly became my most played EP of the year, from one of my new favourite artists. Full of funky, nu-disco numbers Peach, and the title track (my favourite from the EP) will forever remain firmly entrenched in my psyche.

I cannot confirm nor deny that I reacted the same way as the people in this video, when I first heard "Peach." But I can confirm that my friends and I did boogie down to Louis' EP repeatedly, gobbling up everything we could find of his. The beauty of the Peach EP not only lies in the radical and revolutionary sounds that Louis brought to the table but the wide range of samples, and sounds he puts to use throughout the EP. No track sounds like another yet each has an intrinsic tie to the next.

Over the years, Louis has remixed countless tracks and released several EPs, always able to maintain his original aesthetic and artistry, while continuing to carve a path of his own. Other standout tracks from that time are his A-Ha remix, his original "Malfunction," his Jean Jacques Smoothie remix, his remix of The Knocks and Fred Falke, his Lemaitre remix, and his two side projects: Paddywaggle "Bash Your Brains"and EWE "Lingo."

If you want to find out more about the story behind "Love" I highly recommend a stroll down memory lane with this blog post from Solid Goldberger, complete with links to download the entire EP.

SUPPORT: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER