Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Shut Up And Dance - Raving, I'm Raving

As I mentioned in my last post, I've been gearing up for the new X-Files miniseries, and came across a really hilarious episode called "The Post-Modern Prometheus" which culminates with Mulder and Scully taking the Monster of The Week to see Cher in concert (watch it here). She sings Marc Cohn's "Walking In Memphis," and as is often the case, I was inspired to listen to the original and search for remixes of that classic piano melody. That was when I came across the above record, Raving I'm Raving, from English duo, Shut Up And Dance. Replacing the lines "blue swede shoes" and "walking in Memphis" with  "raving shoes" and "I'm ravin', I'm ravin," this hardcore breakbeat version is able to maintain the piano melody, successfully calling back to the original while reworking it for the club. I suspect this version could still garner a huge reaction from any crowd and may very well make its way into some future mixes. There is also a version by Scooter that changes the lyrics the same way, which you can listen to here. But for now, I will leave you with Shut Up And Dance performing the track on Top Of The Pops, which due to copyright claims could not feature Marc Cohn's melody.