Tuesday, October 31, 2017

A November To Remember

I've spoken/written about it being club season ad nauseam lately, so I'm here put an end to that with one fell swoop. This November is going to be one to remember; as you can see above, there are at least a dozen artists I'll be making my way to the clubs to see. So read along below as I do a quick detailing of the 5 Ws, setting up the massive month of music ahead. I'll include links to tickets, Facebook event pages and most importantly, music to whet your appetite. Hope to see you out!

NOV 3 - Trippy Turtle w/ Henrik The Artist @ Velvet Underground
November starts off with a bang, with perhaps my most anticipated show of the whole month. I've been waiting for Trippy Turtle to come for years and even more so for Henrik The Artist, who I've gushed over several times on this blog. In my eyes there is no better Jersey Club bootleg artist than Trippy Turtle nor is there a more kawaii chiptune composer than Henrik. Over the past while, I've found my feet more glued to the floor than ever, but I'm confident the craziness that these two will conjure from the speakers will have me back bouncing up and down like I were a teenager again. The Velvet Underground is perhaps the perfect venue for such a wild and wacky show (RSVP/Tickets).

NOV 4 - Great Good Fine OK @ The Garrison
To be honest I can't remember where/when I first heard GGFO, but I do know that the song I first heard, "By My Side," immediately gripped me. Jon Sandler's falsetto vocals are stunningly beautiful and play perfectly with the sublime synth pop construction of their songs. They're funky and groovy and I can't wait for their vibes to wash over me in the comfy confines of The Garrison (RSVP/Tickets).

NOV 11 - RL Grime w/ graves & Kittens @ Danforth Music Hall
Trap titan RL Grime brings his Nova Tour to the big stage, with support from graves and Kittens. Other than TNGHT, no one has made a bigger or longer lasting effect on trap than RL. All evidence (his most recent releases "Era" and Halloween VI) suggests this is going to be absolute madness. Add to the bill rising stars and badasses in their own right, graves and Kittens, and you can see why this is a can't miss event for those that demand the best booty and brain shaking bass (RSVP/Tickets).

NOV 17 - Pete Tong @ UNIUN
Now most people know Pete Tong as the inimitable voice behind BBC Radio One's Essential Mix, but less know about his mixing and production abilities. While he skews more towards baleric, which doesn't really suit Toronto mid-November, he is of course incredibly versatile, dabbling in all things electronic and dance. Even if he breaks out just one of his Classic House orchestral pieces, the trip to UNIUN is well warranted. Expect the atmosphere to be warm, friendly and fun (RSVP/Tickets).

NOV 18 - Mura Masa w/ Lunice @ Danforth Music Hall
Both of these amazing artists dropped their debut albums this year, and both are incredibly well respected in the music sphere, just take a look at the long list of features on either album. While both craft incredibly infectious club tunes, the mix of dirty dusters from Lunice and clean crisp cuts from Mura Masa makes for one of the most magical nights in recent memory. Even though this will be the 3rd time seeing Mura Masa in around a year, this is without a doubt one of my most anticipated shows in that same time frame. These a truly two legends, and an absolute can't miss event (RSVP/Tickets).

NOV 23 - Ekali w/ josh pan & Y2K @ Velvet Underground
This month of madness gets capped off with perhaps the most mayhem one bill can handle. By now you better know about Ekali, and to be fair, I've covered just as much josh pan and Y2K as Ekali on this blog. It is however Ekali's Babylon tour and he's got his own stage production set up, although it will likely have to be scaled back to fit Velvet's smaller stage. And while it's a shame (visually), the intimate atmosphere will only improve the onslaught of energy. Each of these three have dabbled in a diverse range of sounds/styles, so I'm not sure what to expect, except the unexpected (RSVP/Tickets).

As above, I'm aiming to attend each of these six shows (health permitting, as my body often fights me following back to back late nights), and as usual I'll likely be live tweeting. Follow me @OggieJames, catch coverage here and on Bump In The Hump, and perhaps I'll see you in the clubs!