Monday, August 14, 2017

hyleo x sakuraburst - Galaxy Cutter

After cutting myself away from the internet for two days, I opened my browser this morning and went right to Soundcloud to quell my craving for new music. Now I should say that I don't often click on the first track in my feed, because it's usually either a literal promoted track (that I've already heard or don't want to hear) or some other 'promoted' track (that's been reposted way too many times). However today was different. That first track was a 'playlist' from the UK's sakuraburst, used to promote his track with hyleo, "Galaxy Cutter." I'm surprised that I've never written about sakuraburst here as I've enjoyed his stuff since his Purity Ring "Begin Again" remix and more recently his collab with Josh Pan. But their qualities aside, "Galaxy Cutter" is a track unlike many, if any, I've ever encountered. It's complex in its arc, at once banging and beautiful, funky and full of fire, godly, glitchy and there's a guitar solo to boot.
"Galaxy Cutter" comes in sweet, soundtracking a sublime ceremony. It feels like waking up in a new video game landscape; your eyes are bleary, battered by chiptuned bleeps and buzzes. The carefree chords bounce brightly, while the drums whip you up into a frenzy. Then there's the first of many fiery flourishes, that while wickedly wild, still satisfy even the most reticent and reluctant raver. The entire atmosphere of "Galaxy Cutter" is epic. It's got a gravity of its own, buckling under its own beauty, before bursting into a blaze of bass. The final piece, and killer capstone, of this great wonder is the guitar at 3:35, and it's role as God sticking his finger in this primordial soup, stirring it to perfection. This track truly has it all: cutting emotional intensity, utterly exciting breaks and drops, and masterful musicality. Become the blind watchmaker and get "Galaxy Cutter" for yourself from Bandcamp, here.

FOLLOW HYLEO: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER
FOLLOW SAKURABURST: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER