Thursday, December 03, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Feed Me - Mordez Moi

For this week's installment of my TBT series, it is my pleasure to re-introduce the world to one of the bleepiest, bounciest, bassiest, grimiest, most raw, rolling electro-heavy and technologically inspired tracks I ever encountered, Feed Me's "Mordez Moi." Upon looking back in researching for today's post, I've realized that I was significantly late getting in on this track, which although it was released in late 2008, it was a year later when it finally appeared in my iTunes library alongside, his other two breakthrough tracks "The Spell" and "Raw Chicken." These three tracks, all released on the same day ("Mordez Moi" on Noisia's Division label and the other two on mau5trap), marked the first releases from Feed Me, who before that was known exclusively as Spor. Since that time, Jon Gooch, has released numerous EPs and remixes both as his electro house/dubstep persona, Feed Me, and his drum and bass guise, Spor.


At this point in my musical life I'd been listening to almost exclusively electro, from the likes of Benny Benassi, Fake Blood and Lasgo, although I was venturing into other genres through artists like Louis La Roche and Futurecop!, but the first time I heard Feed Me immediately fell in love. The high level of energy and intensity was like nothing I'd ever heard before. 
I can still remember sitting in our family's rental car as we drove from Calgary to Banff, literally listening to all three originals releases on repeat. The contrast of the technologically driven, extraordinarily fierce tracks pounding in my eardrums as we drove between serene and peaceful mountains was truly sensational. This would only end up being surpassed by the rush of having Feed Me in my ears as I was careening down the icy slopes. No question those memories will last a lifetime. I'm sure that between the unyielding tunes and temperature my face looked exactly like Feed Me's Seymour.
Clearly Jon Gooch is an artist beyond compare; his incredible and seemingly boundless creativity really took hold in his move to the Feed Me project. The chopped and manipulated vocal sounds to start the track, rumbling and playful yet sharp drumming, and ever building synths culminate in a creepy vocal drop that is aided by screeching synths, that in retrospect remind me of the opening to "Muscle Rollers" with Kill The Noise. Actually, I find a lot in common with those two tracks. The fluttering, high-pitched synths that seem as though they're pulled right out of some late 80s/early 90s horror film. Gooch is not happy enough to just let his white knuckle ride of a track just play out, he continues to play with the various elements destabilizing the track adding to the overall unsettling tone that runs throughout his work as Feed Me. "Mordez Moi" is the perfect introductory piece to the vast library that is Feed Me's now well established career, that has seen multiple EPs, remixes and world tours.

SCORE
Composition 3/3
Dynamics 1/2
Improvisation/Progression 3/3
Melody/Harmony 3/3
Originality 2/2
Sonic Quality 2/2
TOTAL 14/15

SUPPORT: FACEBOOK SOUNDCLOUD TWITTER